Community and Economic Development (CED)
Community and Economic Development
3401 Evaline Street, Mezzanine
Hamtramck, MI 48212
The Community and Economic Development (CED) Department of Hamtramck serves the most culturally diverse residents in Michigan. The goal of the department is to work with all community stakeholders to improve quality of life in Hamtramck. CED is the primary contact and liaison for the City’s Plan Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, Special Events, Arts and Culture Commission, Beautification Commission, and Downtown Development Authority. To preserve and expand Hamtramck’s community and economic growth, CED is structured around the following core services: business support and economic development; community outreach and events; planning and zoning services.
Community and Economic Development and DDA Manager – Karolynn Faulkner
313-800-5233 ext. 332
CED Intern – Ian Hogg
313-800-5233 ext. 307
If you need to mail materials to the CED Department:
City of Hamtramck
Community and Economic Development Department
c/o Karolynn Faulkner
3401 Evaline Street
Hamtramck MI 48212
From the Code of Ordinances, § 32.062: Community and Economic Development Director; Appointment; Requirements; Term of Office; Power and Duties
(1) The City Council shall appoint a Community and Economic Development Director.
(2) The Community and Economic Development Department shall be under the supervision of the director of Community and Economic Development, who shall be responsible for the preparation of a plan and program for the orderly development of the city.
(B) Requirements. No person may be considered for the position that does not possess at least a four-year undergraduate degree in public administration, marketing, architecture, historic preservation, advertising, journalism, planning, business, or related field.
(C) Term of office. The City Council, through either a separate policy or employment agreement, shall establish the term of this position as well as salary and other conditions of employment.
(D) Power and duties.
(1) The Director shall be responsible for the preparation of needed revisions and adjustments to the community plan, as determined by the City Planning Commission and City Council.
(2) The Director shall be responsible for the preparation of basic information and data required by other departments in connection with the preparation or execution of any planning program.
Planning a project in Hamtramck? Pre-application meetings can be scheduled with CED staff by contacting the department.
Please review the Latest Ordinances in order to be up to date on all recent ordinance text amendments.
- Combined Site Plan Checklist
- Downtown Sign/Facade Improvement Grant 2022
- Driveway Application
- Event Application Form
- Film Permit Application
- Planning and Zoning Application
- Plot Plan and Floor Plan Application
- Property for Sale
- Ribbon Cutting Application
- Sidewalk Cafe Permit Application
- Site Plan Review Application
- Small Event Guidelines and Application
- Wayne County Housing Rehab Assistance Application for Hamtramck Residents
- Zoning Board of Appeals Application
- Zoning Determination Request
Community Economic Development (CED) Documents
- Zoning Map
- 2022-2023 Fee and Fine Schedule
- Business Resource Guide
- Capital Improvement Plan
- Driveways FAQ
- Economic Development Strategy
- Guide to Opening and Improving a Business
- Hamtramck Master Plan – 2020 updates
- Hamtramck Parks and Recreation Plan
- Hamtramck Recreation District Plan
- Hamtramck Stadium Predevelopment Plan – Historic Structure Report
- Invest in Hamtramck – Residential Development Property Prospectus
- Land Use Table
- Master Plan Action Plan
- New Business Checklist (With Site Plan Review)
- New Business Checklist (No Site Plan Review)
- Site Plan Approval Process Guide
- Target Market Analysis Housing Study – Final Report
- Target Market Analysis Housing Study – Attachments
Have you gone through the permitting/inspections or site plan review process? Do you have ideas on how these processes could be improved? Fill out the form(s) below and return to the Building/CED Department in City Hall!