Community and Economic Development (CED)
Community and Economic Development
3401 Evaline Street, Mezzanine
Hamtramck, MI 48212
313-800-5233 ext. 818
The Community and Economic Development (CED) Department of Hamtramck serves the most culturally diverse residents in Michigan. The goal of the department is to work with all community stakeholders to improve quality of life in Hamtramck. CED is the primary contact and liaison for the City’s Plan Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, Special Events, Arts and Culture Commission, Beautification Commission, and Downtown Development Authority. To preserve and expand Hamtramck’s community and economic growth, CED is structured around the following core services: business support and economic development; community outreach and events; planning and zoning services.
Community and Economic Development and DDA Manager – Karolynn Faulkner
313-800-5233 ext. 332
Assistant Community and Economic Development and DDA Manager – Austin Colson
313-800-5233 ext. 316
Community and Economic Development and DDA Coordinator – Alessandro Uribe-Rheinbolt
313-800-5233 ext. 301
Beautification and Volunteer Coordinator – Max Gilginas
313-800-5233 ext. 326
Planning and Zoning Contact:
Planning a Project in Hamtramck? Pre-application meetings for site plans can be scheduled with CED staff by contacting Austin Colson at extension 313-800-5233 x 316. For other zoning inquiries, please use the zoning map and zoning link below; if additional assistance is needed, fill out the Zoning Determination Request form, and mail in with a $30 check to the City of Hamtramck.
If you need to mail materials to the CED Department:
City of Hamtramck
Community and Economic Development Department
3401 Evaline Street
Hamtramck MI 48212
From the Code of Ordinances, § 32.062: Community and Economic Development Director; Appointment; Requirements; Term of Office; Power and Duties
(1) The City Council shall appoint a Community and Economic Development Director.
(2) The Community and Economic Development Department shall be under the supervision of the director of Community and Economic Development, who shall be responsible for the preparation of a plan and program for the orderly development of the city.
(B) Requirements. No person may be considered for the position that does not possess at least a four-year undergraduate degree in public administration, marketing, architecture, historic preservation, advertising, journalism, planning, business, or related field.
(C) Term of office. The City Council, through either a separate policy or employment agreement, shall establish the term of this position as well as salary and other conditions of employment.
(D) Power and duties.
(1) The Director shall be responsible for the preparation of needed revisions and adjustments to the community plan, as determined by the City Planning Commission and City Council.
(2) The Director shall be responsible for the preparation of basic information and data required by other departments in connection with the preparation or execution of any planning program.
Planning & Zoning
- Hamtramck Zoning Ordinance
- Hamtramck Zoning Map
- Special Land Use and Rezoning Application
- Zoning Board Of Appeals Application
- Zoning Determination Request
- Sign Ordinance
- Fence Ordinance
- Facade Improvement Review Application
- Site Plan Review Application
Please review the Latest Ordinances in order to be up to date on all recent ordinance text amendments.
DDA & Business Support
- Business Resource Guide
- New Business Checklist (With Site Plan Review)
- New Business Checklist (No Site Plan Review)
- New Restaurant Checklist
- Ribbon Cutting Application
- Sidewalk Cafe Permit Application
- Obsolete Property Tax Rehabilitation Policy
Major Events, Park Rentals, Film Permits
- Wayne County Housing Rehab Assistance Application for Hamtramck Residents
- Global Detroit
- State Emergency Relief
The City of Hamtramck does not administer any home repair programs. The City refers residents to the resources above.
Residential Lot Sale
- Hamtramck Property for Sale (List of properties available and application for purchase)
- Wayne County Parcel Viewer
- BS&A Online
- Wayne County Treasurer
- Target Market Analysis Housing Study – Final Report
- Target Market Analysis Housing Study – Attachments
Reports & Studies
- Economic Development Strategy
- Hamtramck Master Plan – 2020 updates
- Hamtramck Parks and Recreation Plan
- Hamtramck Recreation District Plan
- Master Plan Action Plan
- Joe Louis Greenway
- Hamtramck Health Atlas – Eastern Michigan University
Have you gone through the permitting/inspections or site plan review process? Do you have ideas on how these processes could be improved? Fill out the form(s) below and return to the Building/CED Department in City Hall!